Library Rules and Office Hours
While we try to showcase the best of anime in our weekly screenings, there's a lot more out there than we can possibly show. Therefore, we also maintain a large collection of anime and manga in our circulating library. Library cardholders gain the additional privilege of checking out items from our library for home viewing; for more information, consult the section below.
We hold weekly office hours in our library in W20-445 (fourth floor of the Student Center). All are invited to come in during these times to browse our extensive collections, and library cardholders may use these hours to borrow materials. In addition, non-members are also free to come in and read our manga and watch our anime during this time.
These are the times when someone will definitely be in the library. Officers often hold unscheduled office hours, so if you're in the Student Center, feel free to stop by!
These are the times when deliveries will be available. Note the dorm specified.
Individuals may apply for a library card on an academic term-by-term basis. The card allows one to check out up to 30 items at any given time (up to 6 DVDs, 6 manga/books, 6 audio CDs, 6 fansub discs, 6 VHS tapes); upon return, they may check out additional items.
Unlike regular memberships, a library card requires a semesterly fee of $5 ($7 for non-students). Additionally, cardholders are required to submit a $10 deposit that will be returned by request upon the card's expiration. Freshmen and new students to MIT are allowed one term free.To apply for a library card, complete the following form and submit it with payment to officers at any showing or office hour.
MIT students and staff may also apply for a trial membership. Trial members do not receive a card, but should instead bring their MIT ID to identify themselves. Trial members may check out up to 5 items at any given time (up to 1 DVD/Blu-Ray, 1 manga/book, 1 audio CD, 1 fansub disc, 1 VHS tape); upon return, they may check out additional items.
Unlike full memberships, trial memberships are free.To become a trial member, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add you as a member.
Library Checkout Polices
- Checkouts are limited to club members with current library cards (to be presented upon checkout) and a refundable security deposit on file, or trial members with a valid MIT ID.
- Members may check out up to: 6 DVDs, 6 books or volumes of manga, 6 fansub discs, 6 audio CDs, and 6 VHS tapes, for at most thirty items out at any given time.
- Trial members may check out up to: 1 DVDs, 1 books or volumes of manga, 1 fansub discs, 1 audio CDs, and 1 VHS tapes, for at most five items out at any given time.Items may be returned at any showing or event, or to the Library in W20-439 during the office hours listed on this page.
- Items are due back in one month, but may be renewed by e-mail to email@example.com or in person at a library, showing, or event, for up to 2 months. You may turn them in early if you wish in order to check out new material. You will not be allowed to check out additional items if you have overdue items checked out.
- Overdue fines are fifty cents ($0.50) per day per item, for up to the MSRP replacement cost of the title.
- If you lose, break, scratch, demagnetize, or otherwise render a title uncirculatable, you will be held responsible for the MSRP replacement cost of the title, circumvented by providing an actual replacement copy of the item.
How to request items for checkoutRequests are not necessary if you come to office hours to check items out. However, if you would like to pick up items at a showing or event, or would like to have an item delivered, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of your requests.
- To request a delivery or pick-up, please fill out the delivery form. All items delivered are still subject to the standard rules - in particular, items must be returned on time to the library, even if there are no delivery hours available.
- For pick ups at showings, items will be handed out during intermissions; you must be present to claim them. Please put in your request by e-mail or form ahead of time (no later than noon on the day of the showing), or in writing at the previous week's showing.
- Use the item ID numbers in your request (titles are optional), and please do not request items that don't appear on the lists.
- Request items in priority order, and we will best to give you the highest-ranking titles that do not conflict with other people's requests. You may wish to request more items than you expect to get in order to maximize the number of requests we can fulfill for you. If you wish to check out fewer items than the checkout limit (5 items per item type for up to 30 items), please specify this in your e-mail or form entry.